- Leo Andreas (he/him), Dad of a two-year-old
- Jenna “JB” Brown (they/he), Full-Spectrum Community Doula and Educator at Love Over Fear Wellness & Birth
In this episode, Leo Andreas and Jenna “JB” Brown join us to explore the unique perinatal mental health experiences of queer, trans, and gender non-conforming people. Leo, a dad of a two-year-old, shares his mental health experiences of his journey to parenthood. And JB, a full-spectrum doula and community educator, explains the positive impact person-centered, radically inclusive care can have on the mental health of queer, trans, and gender non-conforming people during the perinatal period.
This episode discusses mental health issues and mentions suicide. If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or a crisis, please reach out immediately to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255 or text HOME to the Crisis Text Line at 741741. Additionally, the National Maternal Mental Health Hotline provides support before, during, and after pregnancy. Call or text 1-833-9-HELP4MOMS (1-833-943-5746). TTY users can use a preferred relay service or dial 711 and then 988 or 1-833-943-5746. Both services are free, confidential, and available 24/7.
- National LGBTQ Task Force: Queering Reproductive Justice: A Toolkit
- RTZ Hope: LGBTQ+ Families
- Family Equality
- National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center
- Postpartum Support International: Help for Queer and Trans Parents
- International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology: LGBTQ2S+ childbearing individuals and perinatal mental health: A systematic review
- Youth Voices Amplified Podcast (the most recent episodes cover reproductive justice and anti-LGBTQ+ laws)
Consider completing this short survey to share input and let us know who or what you’d like to hear about on future episodes. If you have any questions or suggestions about the podcast, please contact Maura Leahy (firstname.lastname@example.org).