EPIDEMIOLOGY & EVALUATION
Our Equity, Epidemiology and Evaluation team advocates for the effective use of evidence-based strategies, quality data, valid and reliable measures, and effective data translation and communication.
What is Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology?
The systematic collection, analysis, and interpretation of population-based, program-specific health and/or related data to:
- Assess the distribution and determinants of the health status of the MCH population
- Determine needs of the maternal child population for the purpose of planning, implementing of science-based strategies
Promote MCH and related policy development
(Phillips, Sappenfield, Adler & Kogan, 2012)
How Do We Support Effective Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology?
Vision: To assure that MCH practices, programs, policies, and initiatives are equitable, evidence-based, and data-informed.
Mission: To be leaders and experts in providing support, training, and resources to build the capacity and advance optimal health through:
- Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion for all populations
- Supporting evidence-based/research-informed public health practice
- Practicing and modeling sound evaluation methods
- Advocating for representative, timely, and accurate data and data communications/translation
- Developing valid and reliable metrics
- Assisting with data capacity
How Can We Support You?
We provide and organize technical assistance (TA) on epidemiology and data related issues. To request epidemiology related TA, please click here and tell us about your epidemiology needs!
Examples of TA that can be requested include but are not limited to:
- Data linkage
- Life course indicator analysis
- Survey data analysis
- Infographics and data visualization
- Evaluation design and measurement
We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Areas of Focus
- Dashboard and Reports
- Collection Process and Database
- HE Research Agenda
- Track HE Efforts (internal & External)
- Support and Progress of HE throughout AMCHP
Epidemiology & Data
- Internal and External Epidemiology Support & TA
- MCH Research and Statistical Analysis
- Data Translation and Communications
- Program Metrics & Evaluation
- Grant/Cooperative Agreement Support
- Internal and External TA
AMCHP Life Course Indicators
- Exploration of new metrics
Areas of Interest
- Health Equity Across All MCH Domains & Programs
- Leadership Development & Engagement – MCH Epidemiologists
- Operationalization of Racial Justice and Reconciliation
- Social Epidemiology
- Prevention & Education of HIV/AIDS
Visit our Resources library for information about data and assessment practices in maternal and child health.
EPIDEMIOLOGY & EVALUATION
Latest News & Blogs
Two Examples of State Collaborative Approaches to Turn Data into Action Camille Delgado-López, MPH, Puerto Rico Department of Health Elizabeth Harvey, PhD, MPH, Tennessee Department of Health Alyson K. Northrup, MS, Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs...
Kristina Wint, AMCHP Program Manager, Women & Infant Health Early this year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced the release of 2018 data from the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS). Developed in 1987, the system aims...
Approaches to Measuring Quality Improvement in Public Health Series: Assessment, Measurement, and Monitoring
Hello, and welcome to the fourth installment in our "Approaches to Measuring Quality Improvement in Public Health" series! While quality improvement principles have traditionally been implemented in clinical settings, this series is focused on unpacking a measurement...